Monday, July 03, 2006

Today I squeezed someone's gall bladder


It felt like a semi-deflated, tight balloon...it was weird. Before you think Hannibal Lecter, let me explain - I was at the most amazing exhibition ever called Bodies The Exhibition in NYC. It had 30 dissected cadavers and 250 body parts from multiple dimensions (imagine the muscles and skeleton of someone who is dribbling a basketball - if you can't - here's the picture). The exhibits (someone's bodies) took about 10 years to dissect and the detail is totally worth it! The section on the circulatory system, shows exhibits of blood vessels glowing bright red in a dark background. While the foetus section was difficult and horrific, it still was scientifically mindboggling - in one exhibit you can actually see a 24 week baby in the uterus - to comprehend that one cell that is created from nothing and grows into a live, kicking entity that has thousands of functioning activities inside it for years together + with an ability to constantly heal itself despite heavy abuse was truly something. In the "touching allowed" section, the lady there showed me a normal, clean lung - it was off-white with some green spots (pollution-effect) and then a smoker's lung, which was shrunken, green-black-brown and woah...really bad. She also showed me what fat and cholesterol did to someone's aorta - it was ugly brown-black (like the inside of a bark of a dead tree) - truly a sad state with large protruded spots on it. I shuddered to think how much we bash up our insides. And I curiously poked my finger into a real heart and held it in both my hands and looked on for a long time. The brain was a solid mass and it was coolly weird to lift it up and examine the cerebellum and other good stuff. By that time, my brother had had enough of me and the other still bodies - he got hungry despite the displays and we finally stepped out. The company organizing it is $13M Premier Exhibitions (NASDAQ: PRXI) / RMS Titanic (!) and has been in multiple controversies - not surprisingly - for its exhibitions. Kudos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home