Monday, May 29, 2006

Next stop, Fullerton Wireless

On a recent trip to LA, I was traveling by train to Orange County...due to a much avoidable confusion with the conductor, I got off at a wrong station - Fullerton, a city 22 miles south of LA with a 135K population. While I waited for my friends to give me the extended ride, I figured the City of Fullerton is a fully free wireless city! It was just amazing, I could sit or stand anywhere I wanted...a traffic light, park bench, train station and there'd be Internet - just like air! I hung out at a corner bar called Tuscany Club and along with some good beer, there was Internet too. So it is a reality...cities becoming wholly wireless and I keep reading more and more about it...San Francisco and Philly in the leading game....read this Economist article (requires subscription). Just like we know some eternal economic truths such as land prices will go up, air travel will go up, people will age, healthcare industry will always stay and stay healthy, global temperatures will rise, gas prices will rise or be redundant, cars will be replaced, stationed servers will die, Internet-telephony will drive telecom costs to near-zero, people will continue to eat and mate, kids will continue to pop-out...it is rather easy to surmise that wireless connectivity will be ubiquitous just like radio and electromagnetic waves - it'll always be there and everywhere. The interesting question is what will happen then? What businesses will start, what businesses will collapse, what new services/ products can be delivered? Food for thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home