Monday, May 08, 2006

Just dial VSS Mani

Over the past weekend, I hung around in Hyderabad celebrating my parents' wedding anniversary. I also chilled out with my "co-bro" who recently converted his fastfood venture into a thriving catering business. He spread his beans across various marketing channels and finally settled on a service called Just Dial that brings him 90 calls/ month - from hip parties to pooja food - he does it all. To list his business in the "premium" vendors list he pays Just Dial a neat chunk of change. In passing, he mentioned that the company (Just Dial) generates Rs.100 crores ($20+ million) in revenues and is gearing up for an IPO - that of course perked my ears. He told me about the time he met the energetic first-mover Mr. Mani who started Just Dial in his garage with 2 people and now has scaled to 1,500 people. The impressive thing is it's a business targeted at the domestic market and built on the Internet economy. Check it out.